Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Demons tormenting St. Anthony

Martin Schongauer's "Demons Tormenting St. Anthony" is a very interesting piece. I do not find the fact that it was engraved in metal and printed interesting, so much as the shapes and forms he gave the demons. In class someone said they were kinda Dr. Suess-ish which is true, but they each have completely different features. Some have claws, wings, tails, spikes, clubs, or even snouts. He seemed to have given each one a lot of thought and time. They are all very detailed and textured. I personally do not care for pictures of saints but this is at least interesting enough to look at that I do not mind.

1 comment:

  1. I think Schongauer's attention to detail is beyond words. It makes me wonder what his own personal demons were.

    ReplyDelete